Thursday 21 April 2011

Highlander Mountain Marathon

16th & 17th April 2011

Ullapool

I have done this event for the past two years, both times with DW, and both times we were blessed with fine weather. In fact last year at Gairloch it was possibly too hot. The forecast this year was pretty good so we planned to stay for the Monday and do some Munros. Arriving Friday afternoon we got registered and sorted some kit. Ate. Had a pint and settled down for the night. We had a leisurely start time in the morning. We were doing the score class and had a briefing at 8.30am and then a bus ride to the start at 9.15am.

Day 1

The breifing was basically the option of two start points. One closer to the finish for those who would like a shorter day. We obviously went for the further start! It was breezy and cool whilst plotting the controls but we are soon on our way. The first few controls gave an obvious route choice and DW and I were in agreement as to the route. We had the occasional quick discussion but our decisions seemed to be working out.

After a couple of hours I realised we still had a long way to go to the finish. I had a bit of a moment when DW suggested going to a control I thought would be too far out of our way and had already dismissed. But he persuaded me otherwise and we pushed on. In the end it was the right choice and gave me time to study the map whilst plodding along. We had a big route choice coming up. Either over a col on An Teallaich or around by Shenavall bothy. I picked the Shenaval route. Again the right choice.

After passing the bothy I hit a low point. The path we were following seemed worse than the rough boggy ground we had been on for the past few hours. I couldn't eat and was getting tired. Forcing down some jelly babies, picking up the next control and the sun coming out revived me a little. The end of day 1 was in sight and surely we had enough time. All day DW had been first to dib the controls. So when approaching the penultimate checkpoint he veered from the optimum line I saw my chance. Unfortunately I had forgotten the exact control description and missed it by a few metres allowing DW to sneak in behind me and beat me to it again. Perhaps tomorrow!

We finished the day 24 minutes early but had we tried to get any of the possible extra controls on route we would probably have been late. Something I consider a cardinal sin. We were first of eight finishers so far in, surely that couldn't last. After something to eat and check on results we found ourselves in third. The two teams ahead of us were very strong well known 'elite runners' so we were really pleased.

I was in my usual state at the finish. Found it hard to eat and just wanted to lie down. I picked up a bit later on, a pint of IPA might have had something to do with it. My thoughts turned to the big day on Monday and a few doubts about my fitness. A phone call home cheered me up and the joy of sleep soon came.

Day 2

After a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea we were soon packed and walking to the start. Again cool and breezy few minutes plotting the controls and immediatley we had a choice to make. Either a seemingly easier start or a 'short' steep climb but for more points. We pick the steep option. After a couple of controls, time to study the map and do some on the move maths it became apparent we needed to get the big 70 point control if we were not going to be caught by any other teams. The problem being that we were close to sea level and it was on top of a big hill.

I worked out that if I could get to the top in 20 minutes we should have enough time to get to the finish and pick up all the exta contrls on route. A few more jelly babies needed and head down. It took a couple of minutes longer than hoped but good lines from DW to the next two controls got us back on time. Now the last uphill section, more jelly babies, and we are there. At the peultimate control today I seize my chance and dib before DW for the first time all weekend. A fast last descent to the finish and it's over. Once again we are early but like yesterday any attempt at more points could have made us late.

For the first time ever in a mountain marathon I was completely happy with the route choices we made and the navigation between the controls. But would we be rewarded for our efforts? The problem was the finish was on the opposite side of Loch Broom to Ullapool. An exhilarating but all to short ride on a 'RIB' and we were back at the event centre.

As one of the first teams back the results so far were not much use. We took advantage of the showers at the swimming pool and went for an ice cream. On our return to the event centre we found ourselved still third but he fourth place team from day 1 were not yet in. An anxious wait ensued. Prizgiving came and YES!! We held on to third despite being fourth on the day (only by 5 points). Happy with ourselves we head for home.

I had decided that a big day on Monday would be too much for me. DW was very gracious in accepting my shortcommings. The journey home was long but helped along by a beer (for me not DW the driver) and a stop for fish and chips. The moon was fantastic. Very big in the sky. The picture does not do it justice.


Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment